Whether you’re attending CONNECT, the industry-leading event where people gather to grow their staffing and recruiting knowledge, or just curious about some fun things to do around Minnesota’s capital, this blog has you covered.
We’ve talked to locals, interviewed foodies and searched the web for eight fun places to check out in St. Paul. Additionally, we tried to find places near the InterContinental Saint Paul Riverfront hotel, where CONNECT is hosted. Without further ado, here’s our list!
- Café Astoria – This place is truly majestic. At first glance, it’s a cute, small coffee shop but taking a deeper look at the menu, you’ll discover a wide assortment of colorful caffeinated beverages. From the rainbow matcha lattes to brews sprinkled with edible gold foil, Café Astoria has some truly Instagram-worthy drinks that also taste as good as they look. If you’re looking for a light breakfast, Café Astoria applies the same creativity and elegance they put into their drinks as they do their food. Be sure to try one of their famous smoothie bowls!
- Science Museum of Minnesota – Dinosaurs? Check. Omnitheater? Check. Quirky exhibits? Check. The Science Museum of Minnesota is chalked full of hands-on exhibits that are suitable for all ages and it even includes the world’s most complete triceratops skeleton. Bonus: If you’re attending CONNECT, there’s a very special evening event that takes place at the Science Museum of Minnesota. If you’re familiar with the movie, “Night at the Museum,” it’s basically that but with tasty cocktails, delicious appetizers and personal (non-alive) experiences with the exhibits.
- Lime and Spin Scooters – Ever wondered what it’s like to rip through a city on a motorized scooter? Wonder no more. Lime and Spin provide app-based scooter rental services and make for an absolute blast to get from point A to B. These cost-effective scooters range from about $10 an hour and are scattered all over downtown St. Paul. All you need is an app to get started.
- The Liffey Rooftop – This classic Irish establishment is just a stone throw from the XcelEnergy Center and features classic food and drinks from the emerald isle. The best part? It has a remarkable rooftop bar. With a magnificent view of downtown St. Paul and the cathedral, the rooftop at the Liffey is a must, especially if the weather is nice.
- Seventh Street Truck Park – Just like the name suggests, this indoor food truck establishment features tacos, ribs, pizza, cold beer and so much more. They have a great everyday happy hour that features $3 pints from 3 to 6 PM and all day Sunday. BONUS: CONNECT attendees will have this venue rented out all to themselves for another fun evening event.
- Saint Dinette – Having opened in 2015, this wide-ranging American cuisine restaurant is quickly becoming one of the most popular dining spots in St. Paul. From oysters to bologna sandwiches, Saint Dinette serves a wide range of cuisines that span from Montreal to New Orleans to the Gulf of Mexico. Perhaps one of their most popular (or at least talked about dishes) is the cheeseburger. This mouthwatering plain cheeseburger is anything but plain. It features premium beef that’s dry-aged to perfection and includes two thick slices of house-made cheese – all between two fresh bakery buns.
- Barrel Theory – Considered to be one of the best breweries in St. Paul, if not the best. Why? For starters, Barrel Theory made it to Thrillist’s “32 Hottest Breweries in America Right Now” list and owns four of the top 50 rated Minnesota beers on Beer Advocate. It even scores a 4.8 out of 5 on Google Reviews. With IPAs of all types, pilsners, stouts and even a key lime weiss – there’s a beer here for everyone.
- Grand Ave – This three-mile street is home to a wide assortment of shops and restaurants. We’re talking loads of iconic St. Paul spots like the Grand Old Creamery, Irish on Grand as well as many other well-known brands like Patagonia and Anthropology. Check out Grande Ave’s website for a comprehensive and organized list of all Grand Ave has to offer.
While this list barely scratches the surface of fun stuff to do in St. Paul, we hope it gives you some good ideas! For more information on places to see in St. Paul, go to Trip Advisor, www.visitsaintpaul.com or follow their Instagram account for inspiration on where to go!
If you’re attending CONNECT 2019, we can’t wait to show you around our city!